This list will remain organic and growing.
Old rules edited for clarity.
New rules added for substance.
Feel free to offer a few your own “being human” rules in the comments below!
- Let it all go. Immediately. You’ll never get closure. You’ll never get relief. Except for that which you create all on your own. Let it go, but still hold fast to yourself.
- Audiences feel the silences as much as the soliloquies. Less is more. Shut the fuck up when you’ve said enough. Stop repeating yourself. Everyone gets it the first time.
- Set active, accountable and achievable goals. Don’t place the bar so high you’ll never get over it. Incremental wins matter. A lot. Be agile to stay courageous and bold.
- Don’t expect people to guess what you need. Speak clearly with grace, humor and veracity. Be open and vulnerable. It will be rewarded with understanding.
- Limit exterior distractions – phone, social media, television, whatever. Be present in the now. Appreciate and cherish each moment before it vanishes.
- No more crushing friends and family under the weight of your awakening. This is your chaos to bear. No complaining. Turn to.
- Not every thought is worth broadcasting to the world or even those closest to you. Be deliberate. Be humble. Be kind.
- No more projecting imagination and recrimination on a future that will never be or a past that can’t be changed. Live for today. Hope for tomorrow. Forgive yesterday.
- Rinse and repeat until you are fully human. Buckle-up, buttercup. It’s going to be a long and bumpy ride.